Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Thank you for your service

I was reading comments last night and one just really touched my soul.  It was made by Jessica over at Life Embarked (great blog by the way-go check it out), she thanked me for the banner at the bottom of my blog in support of our USA Veterans and told me her youngest sister is a member of the 82nd Airborne stationed in Ft. Bragg and those words mean a lot to her. Sorry to get a bit emotional here, but Jessica, you have no idea how forever grateful I am to your sister for her service!!! It just really struck me that regardless of any one's political views, these service men and women put it all on the line for us everyday and/or are willing to do so. Please give her my heartfelt thanks of immense gratitude for her honorable service!! My first husband served in Vietnam and goofy as it may sound to some, I used to proudly decorate our tiny apartment and make cupcakes (yes, I cooked back then), for Veteran's and Memorial Day for him. While I realize there are visitors here from many different countries, of course I respectfully and proudly stand behind mine, as I image you do yours, rightfully as you should too. Yes, I know this blog is about dogs and I PROMISE to get there, but I wouldn't be ME if I didn't get that off my chest :). Thank you Jessica's little sister!!
In keeping with that theme...
Thank you Jessica's sister! 
According to Wikipedia, "The American American Pit Bull Terrier was used in the American Civil War to protect, send messages, and as mascots in American World War I propaganda and  recruiting posters."

Thought this was cool too...Sgt. Stubby was the most decorated war dog of World War I, a stray, Pit Bull/Terrier Mix who stumbled upon some soldiers and made friends with Corporal Robert Conroy. Apparently, Conroy sneaked Stubby on a ship with him and taught him how to salute his superiors and won them over.  I won't spoil the story for you but it's pretty interesting to "google" and read about Stubby!


Have a beautiful today and give your pup a special treat!

34 comments:

  1. Great post Max...Momz respects and honors our veterans and loves learning about the dogs who served so valiently

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too! I thought learning about Stubby was pretty interesting but I didn't want to ruin his story and wanted people to get more curious about him :)

      Delete
  2. That is so true, no matter what anyone beleives we all cannot deny the true bravery, these menand womaan have, and how thankful we should be for their service! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said! Hey, I have to thank you...I'm starting to sorta get this whole twitter thing because of you my friend :) ...teaching this old dog a new trick (Max's Ma that is, Max was already "in the know").

      Delete
  3. Great post and we honour and respect all veterans that fought and fight for our freedom. Have a wonderful Wednesday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - can't tell you how much it meant to me to see all the positive feedback on this! Yea! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. Here, here...a toast to all da men and woman dat serve and protect our country!
    I thinks dis was a most beautiful post and just cuz it be a dog blog don't mean you can't speak your mind too.

    Thank you Jessica's sister fur your service.

    Puddles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puddles-Thanks you, I did veer off the tracks a bit but what the heck...only go around once right? (liked the fur your service too...clever Puddles as always!)

      Delete
  5. Yep we support our Troops, 24 hours, 365 days a year, and tell each one in person Many Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love to hear that!Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. Hi there Max - we read a bit about over on Pet Blogs United and thought we pop by and say hello. You sure are a cute little guy and we love your attitude - we see you have the peeps all susses out and know which ones give you the best cuddles and the best foods. Looking forward to getting to know you some more :)

    Reilly and Denny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome and thanks so very much for joining!! Looking forward to getting to know you more too! Headed out in a second to say hi on your blog too!

      Delete
  7. Hi Max... Just came over from Pet Blogs United to check out your Blog. We are following you now.

    Have a great day.

    hugs, Bugsy and Knuckles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bugsy and Knuckles - Thanks for following and welcome to the blog! Have to go check out your too! Have to say I LOVE the names!!!

      Delete
  8. Great post Max, it is important to support all our troops.
    Dip Bridge and Elliot x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, you're here!! We sure have been missing ya!!!

      Delete
  9. Hi Max, saw you on Pet Blogs United and stopped by to say Hi! We are very thankful for our troops also!
    hugs
    Bailey, Hazel & Greta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bailey, Hazel and Greta- Thanks for coming over! Yep, just had to mention the troops today, too important not to :). We'll be poppin' by you place here in a minute!

      Delete
  10. Hi Max, I've just popped over from PBU to say hi, great post we also have a lot of respect for our troops.

    I'm your latest follower.

    Sheba.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ian-Thanks for following! Ha, today's post about the Pit Bull is right up your alley - funny :). Just became your follower too :) Thanks!

      Delete
  11. Great post! I have the utmost respect for those who risk their lives to protect us and our countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! But I sure wish we could all just get along...I swear I should have been a flower child :)

      Delete
  12. Our Veterans, past and present, have our gratitude.

    Love Max's patriotic picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We're quite patriotic over here :)

      Delete
  13. Well said, Max & Mom! (And such a cute pic of Patriotic Max, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! I really liked Rita with her awards around her neck too asking if the awards were cuz she's cute...answer yes! :)

      Delete
  14. Love all your pictures today and heartily agree! Cute bear :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Henry and Zachary, although one day we hope to meet you and have your Mom take our pix!! She's amazing!!!

      Delete
  15. What a beautiful post. I'm in South Africa but fully understand the how important it is to dedicate honour to the people who protect and defend their country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks for understanding that I also know that we all feel this way about our own countries and I sure do wish we could all just live in peace and harmony (gosh, I sound like a greeting card) (but I really mean that)...I should have been a flower power child - ha!

      Delete
  16. What a great post!

    I haven't heard of Stubby, but I'm gonna check him out! :)

    Wags to all,

    Your pal Snoopy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Snoopy! We found it pretty interesting! We like Sgt. Stubby! Who knows, may pop up in a trivia contest too someday! :)

      Delete
  17. Thank you again for this wonderful post! When my sister enlisted, all I could do at first was be completely fearful for her safety! She was only 18, after all! However, (as you so beautifully mentioned) I had to shove my political views aside and see how much she was giving to our country and how much the United States Army was (and is) giving to her. We all have a purpose in our lives...you and I and the rest of the bloggers who left you wonderful comments have found our purpose with our animals. The US Army gave my sister the opportunity to find her purpose in life, so I will be forever grateful for that.
    Thank you again for such a beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just know if ever you ever want me to send her a care package, letter, etc. just say the word!!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!